Restricted Electrical Application Process PERMIT

Everything you need to know about apply for a Restricted Electrical Permit.

All Training Courses > Restricted Electrical Courses > Restricted Electrical Permit

Gaining your Restricted Electrical Licence can be a simple process, provided that you fit the criteria and have all of your documentation in place. Many students would like to gain a Restricted Electrical Licence, however due to not having enough experience or a base trade of calling, they are not eligible. Therefore we want to help you bust the myths and easily determine if you are eligible to obtain a restricted electrical licence.

Here are our tips to determining your eligibility for a Restricted Electrical Licence

Do you have a base trade or calling?

This is a requirement as all those who would like to gain a restricted electrical licence. You will use this base trade of calling to apply for a restricted electrical permit,  for Queensland electrical licencing the ESO website and form 21 can be found here. If your base trade falls into the following categories, you will be eligible to apply:

Trades of callings that are recognised as having a legitimate need to sometimes perform electrical work are:

  • Aircraft maintenance engineer
  • Composite equipment service person
  • Data communications technician
  • Diesel fitter (in relation to electrical equipment coupled to engines)
  • Earth moving equipment fitter
  • Electric motor service person
  • Electronic equipment service person
  • Entertainment and servicing technician
  • First class machinist
  • Fitter and turner
  • Gas fitter
  • Injection moulding technician
  • Instrumentation/process control technician
  • Laboratory and scientific electrical equipment technician
  • Marine mechanic
  • Mechanical fitter
  • Office equipment service person
  • Photographic equipment service person
  • Plumber and drainer
  • Neon sign manufacturer
  • Refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment service person
  • Sewing machine technician
  • Systems and instrument technician
  • Telecommunication technician

The Electrical Safety Office states that: Your need to perform electrical work must be legitimate, saving time or money are not good enough reasons.

If you do not have a licence or base trade or calling, do you have three years of unstructured experience?

Form 21 required for application of a restricted electrical permit outlines the following:

“You may submit evidence that you have completed at least three 3  years experience in a calling that requires the performance of electrical work. Choose your calling from the list above and write it in the space provided. If you cannot demonstrate experience in one of the listed callings you may not be eligible for a restricted electrical work licence. In this case, you may wish to discuss options for an appropriate apprenticeship/traineeship with a registered training organisation.

You will need to supply evidence of your experience. Evidence should include qualifications, course certificates, and statements from your employer or a statutory declaration from a self employed person outlining your three 3  years experience in a calling.If you can demonstrate that you have at least three 3 years experience in a calling that requires the performance of electrical work and have not trained or have insufficient training in the performance of electrical work then you will be issued with an electrical work training permit and will be required to contact an SRTO to coordinate training to qualify for a licence.”
Full outline and details can be found on the form here.

Making the application

When making the application for your restricted electrical licence the process involves submitting form 21 and including a letter from your employer or a Statutory Declaration if you’re self employed.

This letter needs to outline what experience you’ve had, and state exactly what appliances you need to work on, and what sort of work you will be doing etc. It is important to paint the picture and explain in a clear and concise matter as to what exactly your intentions are so that it is simple for the ESO to determine your eligibility.

Applications take around 2 weeks to be reviewed.

Understanding the categories

There are seven work area categories or endorsements.  These are what your ‘Skillset’ (which is a cluster of units in regards to your trade) will be determined on.

Composite Equiment

Instrumentation / Process Control

High voltage electrical propulsion


Electrical Motor

Plumbing / Gas

Refrigeration / Air Conditioning

+How do I apply for a Restricted Electrical Permit?

Before you undertake any electrical training, you will need to apply for an electrical training permit.

This can be accessed from the Electrical Safety Office here

Now before you get carried away and go ahead filling it all out. Follow these instructions carefully.

Because if your application isn’t completed correctly, you will not recieve approval.


Don’t be lazy! Provide everything that is required and really paint the picture for the reviewer to understand why exactly you need the licence.

  1. Fill in every item and do not leave blanks.
  2. Fill in the form on the computer. Use a PDF reader to enter the details.
  3. Get all of your documents certified by a JP or CDec 



You will need to get your ID cards certified by a JP. While you’re there, get your qualifications and licence certified too.

Application papers restricted electrical


Section 1: Previous work licence history

Section 2: Applicant details

Section 3: Proof of identification

REL Permit Selection 1 to 3

The first three sections are fairly self-explanatory. Complete your work history and details as well as identification.



When applying for your PERMIT, copies of your CPR Certificate will not be required for this application.

After you complete the training and apply for the restricted electrical LICENCE, then you will be required to have evidence of CPR.

So you can skip this section for now.

 Selection 4 CRP Skip it


To demonstrate your occupational need for a restricted electrical permit, you are required to provide a letter of support from your employer. 

Type of work section 5

The letter should be on business letterhead paper, signed by a suitably authorised person and provide the following details: 

  1. the range and type of electrical equipment to be worked on,
  2. the voltage ratings of the equipment,
  3. the type of work (e.g. fault finding, disconnect/reconnect, replacement of plug tops) 

Self-employed or unemployed applicants will need to provide a statutory declaration confirming similar information.

This is a key document.

In either case, it must be truthful and accurate – and stay in the bounds and limitations of your eligibility. 

Do not ask for more than you can legally do.

A self-employed or unemployed person will be required to complete a Statutory Declaration, of which the wording will be similar. 



If you fall within the below eligible trades, you can simply apply directly by providing your licence or required qualification documents. There is no longer a need to provide supporting evidence letter from your employer, for these trades only.

Previously, every trade had to include a letter from their employer stating the appliances, voltage and requirements for Restricted Electrical work.

Now, with some changes within the ESO, selected trades can simply fill out Form 21 provide your say plumbing licence or the required qualification and apply.

Take a look below if you are one of those trades that will not need supporting employer letter documentation when applying for your Restricted Electrical Permit.

Take advantage of the simplified system, get the application in, generally, the applications are processed within 10 working days. Then you can get enrolled and started on getting that restricted electrical licence for your call of trade or unstructured experience.




If your employer is writing a letter to the ESO, they may include something like this.


Disclaimer: Bizmatrix does not take responsibility for your application for a restricted electrical permit being declined. The above sample is an example only and is not guaranteed to qualify you to be eligible for a Restricted Electrical Permit.



In section 6, you will need to outline your qualifications and current situation. See the image below for guidance. 

Section 6 rel permit

Please attach a certified copy of your qualifications.

  1. Copy of your trade licence/s qualification
  2. Copy if available of your trade qualifications- EG: Certificate III in…
  3. Other supporting evidence of trade qualifications or licences.


If you do not hold a trade qualification

You have completed at least 3 years of unstructured experience in a calling that requires the performance of electrical work. 

As per Section 5, you will need to provide a letter outlining your experience in detail.


Section 7 and 8

In section 7, you will be required to sign and date the form. In section 8, choose – I wish to pay by credit card.

NOTE: DO NOT PROVIDE YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS ON THIS FORM. An officer from the Electrical Safety Office will contact you to arrange payment of your fees. To confirm their identity they will quote your name and date of birth as per this application. If you are not provided with this information do not proceed with the transaction.

Section 7 and 8

+What determines the units I will recieve on my Restricted Electrical Permit?

Your individual trade or experience will determine the units you recieve on your permit. It is heavily based on your trade and why exactly you need to do incidental electrical work.

For example: 

Your trade or calling is a plumber.

And you require to do incidental electrical work around your trade, for example, plumbers need to replace a hot water system.

Or you need to do electrical work on a hot water system that might be faulty.

You will be eligible for a Restricted Electrical Permit/Licence.

For example, in general, a plumber applying for a permit will recieve the following units:

Plumber skill set example:

Skill Set – Plumber Disconnect Reconnect 250Vac – Only
Unit 1- Prerequisite UEENEEE101A Apply Occupational Health and Safety regulations, codes and practices in the workplace
Unit 2- Licence Requirement UEENEEP014A Disconnect – reconnect water heaters connected to low voltage installation wiring (250 VAC)
Unit 3- (Only some applicants, depending on if mentioned in the application) UEENEEP024A Attach cords and plugs to electrical equipment for connection to a single phase

 The third unit will only be allocated to applicants who specifically state they require this unit. 

This is what makes the application for a Restricted electrical Permit quite difficult. Because if you don’t express your requirement for Attach Cords and Plugs, you will not recieve it.

+Timeframe and outcome

Once you have submitted your application, it should take no more than 10 days for an outcome.

You will receive your training permit and it will outline the units that you can complete along with the maximum voltage.

From here, your training plan will be set up. The number of units you can do will determine the costs involved with training.

You can get an outline of costs involved with the Restricted Electrical training on Bizmatrix website here.

+What does a Restricted Electrical Permit actually do?

A restricted electrical permit gives each tradesperson approval around which units they are eligible to do. Because electrical work is a high-risk job, the ESO is not willing to give out any extra units that you do not require. 

The permit outlines the maximum voltage you can work on. Working on the permit means you will be allowed to work under supervision by someone who holds an electrical licence. You will be required to complete training, a logbook and work experience within the 12 month permit period. 

Bizmatrix is a Registered Training Organisation as listed and approved with the Electrical Safety Office.

The Electrical Training Permit guides Bizmatrix to undertake training with the student. The permit outlines units you are eligible to undertake in line with the ESO’s approval.

+My application was unsuccessful, can I apply again?

This is a difficult one to answer and will come back to what the ESO decides.

If you ask for too many units, outside of your scope of work, then it may not be sent back.

Also, if you have no specific trade or 3 years of experience you will not be approved.

If your call of trade is not listed – the ESO will see it as no need for a REL.

For example, a builder, carpenter, bricklayer, cabinet maker, florist, machinist, plant operator, a truck driver will not be given a restricted electrical permit.

If you did not complete the information correctly or missed information, then fix it.

+Other Restricted Electrical Courses You Might Be Interested In

Restricted Electrical Course

Electrical Skills Update Course

Test and Tag Course

Case Study/Example – Plumber

So you’re a self-employed plumber and need to complete disconnect and reconnect work on hot water units as a requirement for your job.  

In this situation, you would need to obtain your Restricted Electrical Licence to do so.


The steps to obtaining a Restricted Electrical Licence would be:

  1. Apply through the Electrical Safety Office Queensland using Form 21 to obtain a Restricted Electrical Permit
  2. Complete training at Bizmatrix for units as approved on your permit
  3. Apply through the Electrical Safety Office (ESO) Queensland for a Restricted Electrical Licence
  4. Now you can undertake minor electrical work in line with the scope of your licence and in line with your trade.

Not sure if this is the right course for you?

Check out our other Restricted Electrical Courses to find the right one for you.

Or get in touch to have a Bizmatrix team member assist you.

Call Now Button